Maintenance Troubleshooting Tips
In case of an emergency, dial 911
(913) 905-4043 SCUDO’s 24/7 maintenance line and Home Assistant.
If the situation involves a serious water leak, locate the main water valve in your rental property/unit and turn it to the off/closed position. We encourage you to review the tips below before submitting a maintenance request. Also You Tube has a large selection of how to videos that may assist in resolving your minor maintenance issue.
Dishwasher won’t turn on
- Flip the wall switch near the sink
- Check to ensure that the lock is engaged
- Check timer setting to ensure it is aligned properly
Dishwasher Won’t Drain
Clean food out of bottom of dishwasher. Clean float. Rinse dishes before washing. Use jet dry once a month. Jet dry prevents hard water build up.
Garbage disposal not operating
- Make sure the power is OFF. Safety First!
- Check for blockage in the sink around the blades. Before putting your hands or utensil down the sink, make sure the unit is turned off. Never put these items down the disposal: chicken bones, onion peels, potato skins, rice, and corn husk!
- Is the garbage disposal making a humming sound? Run your hand along the bottom of the unit for a small button. Once you find the button, press it to reset the disposal Press reset button (also located on the bottom of the disposal)
- Is the garbage disposal humming and not turning. Look for the disposal wrench attached to the disposal use it to turn the bottom of the disposal counter clockwise. Then press the reset button on the bottom of the disposal
- Grind lemon peels and ice to help prevent odors
- Reset the safety switch underneath the bottom of disposal unit in sink cabinet. Turn Power back ON.
Toilet Runs Constantly
- Check for kink or disconnect of lift chain from the handle lever which is preventing the flap to seat properly
- If unable to stop toilet run – turn off water to the toilet using the knob behind the toilet until maintenance is able to access the problem. This will prevent high water bills
Water puddling around toilet
Submit maintenance request through the resident portal
- Use appropriate liquid drain cleaner from local market.
- Use ball or flange plunger
- Make sure hair and grease are not disposed in the toilet or sink
- Use a plunger with short, quick motions. You may need rubber gloves; it can get messy!
- For sink, pour a pot of boiling water down the drain, pour in ½ cup baking soda. Let it sit for a few minutes. Then pour a mixture of 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup hot water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Flush one more time with pot of boiling water.
- For clogged bathtub and shower drains-pour boiling water down the drain to unclog hair and soap build-up.
- Note: if resident caused clog then you will be accountable for bill.
- Sink, Tub, or Shower Clogged – Remove hair from drain. Try pouring drain cleaner down the drain.
10 Things to Never Flush Down the Toilet!
- Floss – not bio-degradable
- Grease, Oil & Fat – like heart disease, these will decrease the flow of pipes over time
- Band-aids – these are plastic and not bio-degradable
- Medications – contaminates the water supply
- Disposable Wipes – EVEN if they say you can, Don’t!
- Paper Towels – these do not break down like toilet paper
- Feminine Hygiene Products – including cotton pads and swabs
- Cat Litter
AC not cooling
- If the air filter has not been changed in 30 days, change it. Remember per your lease the filter must be changed a minimum of every 60 days. 95% of all service calls are due to dirty air filters
- If the digital thermostat is not working check/change the battery
- If you notice ice on the coils at the unit, turn off AC and submit maintenance request
- Check thermostat setting – set Fan to “auto”, set system to “Cool”
- Check air handler/furnace – you should hear it “rumbling”, if not, check to make sure it is plugged in and switched on
- Check circuit breaker – make sure it is not ‘tripped’
- Check to be sure the drain line is not clogged
- Check the fan unit outside – is the fan spinning and clear of leaves and branches?
How to Change an Air Conditioner Filter
- Locate the air-intake grill that holds the filter.
- Open grill, remove old filter.
- Replace with new one – IMPORTANT: air flow arrow on filter to point in the direction air is traveling (being “sucked” to).
- A clean filter will ensure your A/C is running smoothly and keep electric costs to a minimum.
- More on air filters here: link to air filter page
No Heat/Hot water
- Check to see if hot water tank is leaking
- Check fuse box for tripped breaker switch
- If it’s a gas water heater, check to see if pilot light is out, if you can’t turn it on, call your gas provider for instructions.
Appearance of Mold
- If problem persist, after following suggestions submit a maintenance request
- Mold can grow most anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature
- Mold is typically found indoors at levels that do not affect most healthy individuals
- Almost every home gets some type of mold – the trick is to clean it up before it spreads
- The most visible type is mildew, which begins as tiny black spots. This is the stuff you see in grout lines in your shower, on damp window casings, etc.
- Check out this terrific site for more information on mold and how to clean it up: https://www.treatitlikedirt.com/how-to-clean/
Power- Circuit Breakers & GFI Outlets - Checking and Resetting
- Some outlets are known as GFIs located near wet areas of your home (i.e. kitchen and bathrooms)
- When power becomes overloaded they will ‘trip’ (stop working).
- Press reset button on them to power back on (usually small button in the center of the outlet plate)
- Still not working? Check other GFI outlets in the home and reset. If that does not work, find the breaker panel and check for flipped switches. Flip back to “On” to restore power.
- Check appliances. Unplug all of them in the unit. Reset breaker, plug in one appliance at a time to find the faulty appliance.
- Contact your power company to inquire if there are power outages in your neighborhood
Washing Machine Not Working Properly or Not at All
- Check whether the washing machine taps are turned on at the wall.
- Check if appliance at the wall is turned on.
- Check if lid is closing properly.
- Check if settings knob is pointed directly on the desired settings
- If the machine has stopped halfway through cycle you may have overloaded the machine and caused it to be out of balance. Try redistributing the wash evenly in the drum.
- Don’t overload the machine
- ONLY use laundry detergent NEVER use dishwashing detergent
Dryer is Not Working
Dryer can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter Check whether the filter needs to be cleaned out. Remember to always clean the filter out. *Failure to clean the dryer is the leading cause of dryer fires. 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and caused deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars in property loss*
Hot Water “TOO HOT”
Check thermostat on tank and turn down.
No Hot Water
Make sure gas service is on. Check thermostat on hot water tank. Is pilot light lit? Check breaker panel or fuses.
Heater Not Working
Make sure Gas service is on with utility provider. Check thermostat. Try changing batteries in thermostat. Replace filters. Furnace covers on correctly? Is pilot light lit? Breaker tripped?
- Make sure the emergency gas valve is turned on
- Check to be sure pilot light is lit
- If you are not able to get the pilot light lit, contact Marchant and we will have an experienced vendor assist you
How to Shut Off Water to your Toilet in an Emergency
- Look for the valve which is located to the LEFT behind your toilet tank
- Turn the knob to the RIGHT (clockwise) to close the valve and stop water flow
How to Shut Off Water Supply to a Sink Faucet
- Turn off water from faucet if possible
- Locate water lines below sink which lead to water valves
- Turn water valves to the RIGHT (clockwise) to stop the water flow
NEVER Pour Grease Down the Drain
- Collect liquid grease to be recycled
- Wipe pans clean with a paper towel
- Rinse pans with cold water
- Food scraps go in garbage, NOT the garbage disposal
How to Stop an Overflowing Toilet
- Remove toilet tank lid
- Lift up the fill valve (or float ball)
- Pull out the water tube
- Reach down and turn OFF the water valve (turn valve CLOCKWISE)
How to Change the Water Filter in Your Refrigerator
- Slow water flow from your fridge? Try changing the water filter
- Filter should be changed every 6 months
- Each fridge will have its own unique filter system – you can find details for each in the manual or by searching online
- Locate the filter, twist to the left to remove, twist right to install
- Some may have a push button system
- Reset the filter button to reflect a new filter has been installed
Refrigerator Not Staying Cool or Freezing
- Check the thermostat to make sure it hasn’t been turned way down by mistake.
- Be sure the vents on the back of the freezer compartment aren’t blocked by boxes of ice cream or frozen food packages-the vents have to be clear for cold air to circulate.
- Vacuum the coils under or behind the fridge. Clogged coils can cause poor cooling
- Clean the seals around the refrigerator doors to keep cool air from escaping
Why is your Gas Range ``Clicking`` and won't start?
- Wet burners are usually why a gas stove top will not light
- When cleaning, avoid using too much water that will make the burners wet
- Try to clean using a damp cloth only
- To dry out, turn oven on to 350 degrees for 30 minutes
How to Check Your Toilet for a Silent Leak
- Check for sounds of running water, trickling or hissing sounds
- Add 25 drops of food coloring to inside of toilet tank
- Wait 15 minutes…if no dye shows up in toilet bowl, no leak exists
- If dye appears in bowl, toilet needs repair. Please log a maintenance request through your resident portal
How to Get Your Key Unstuck from a Deadbolt
- First, realign key so it is in a vertical position (12 o’clock)
- Apply light pressure to smaller disc around the key (called a plug)
- Pull and remove the key from the lock
How to Stop the ``Chirp`` on a Smoke Detector
- Disconnect the smoke detector by twisting counter-clockwise
- Replace the battery with a new one (this will most likely stop the chirping)
- If it is still chirping, remove the battery and hold down the test button for 15 seconds to drain any remaining charge
- Insert the new battery and reattach to the wall/ceiling
- If this doesn’t fix the problem, please contact SCUDO immediately. Do Not Remove Detector. It is required by law.
How to Troubleshoot Low Water Pressure
How to Prevent Condensation/Sweating on Windows
- Condensation is caused by high humidity in your home
- Run vent fans in bathrooms when showering to prevent condensation
- Turn off vent fans in the kitchen when cooking
- In extreme situations you may need to install a dehumidifier in your home
Potential charges to Resident
- The cost for any maintenance repairs that are deemed to have been caused by your actions or negligence.
- Missed scheduled appointment
- Office key copy to the property does not work